Please read the submission guidelines. We do not accept email submissions. Any email submissions we receive will be discarded unread. Thanks!
We are currently accepting applicants for volunteer poetry and fiction readers.
This is an entry level, volunteer position with administrative responsibilities. However, the position offers many opportunities to gain editorial experience by working closely with a small team of experienced editors. The poetry reader will also play a key role in determining which submissions advance to the next round of consideration, and help shape how the work in Five South is presented.
- Reliable internet connection
- Access to email
- Fluent in English and basic grammar
- Ability to dedicate 5-10 hours and read a minimum of 25 pieces per week
- Be willing to commit to a one-month trial period with possible extension.
- Must love poetry and be familiar with contemporary poets
- Familiarity with Slack, Airtable, and Submittable a plus, but not a requirement
We're looking for self-starters who love reading and being part of a group dynamic. Five South is a (virtually) social and collaborative environment where our readers are expected to participate, join discussions, and contribute to the curation of each issue.
Ideally, you're already familiar with Issues One and Two of Five South. If not, please take a look. Read our mission statement. Follow us on social media and get to know our vibe. We're looking for cool people with cool taste. Five South aims to be a no stress environment. We want this to be fun and we want you to get something out of it.
- Submit your application and cover letter
- Because of time constraints and volume of applicants, please keep cover letters brief (1-2 paragraphs).
In your cover letter, include:
- Your three favorite living poets or authors
- Tell us who you are, what you're about. We're not your average journal and we don't want the average resume. Do you stand out? Tell us why.
- Tell us one thing you're most proud of.
Why isn't this a paid position?
We feel you. No one at Five South gets paid yet. We're a small, all volunteer team and we do this because we love it. Reading submissions is great experience and Five South will be your biggest advocate. Like the Olive Garden says, when you're here, you're family. We're about supporting one another and helping each other succeed. If you stick with us, we'll stick with you. We understand not everyone can afford to take on volunteer work. For those of you who can, we look forward to hearing from you.
Five South on Social Media: